Monday, 25 June 2012

Wings of love and loneliness

I love films. They are like a meditation of escape from time. My favourite film of all is Wings of Desire. It creates a wonderful soft atmosphere where the angels are, the quiet whisperings of the people's thoughts and the sweet undulating flow of the language itself. The big comfy overcoats that they all wear, the smiles and companionship. And its about love and loneliness and how they mingle and merge and make people (and angels) do extraordinary things.



The first time I saw it was in the cinema in Edinburgh with my German college class in 1987 and I spent months trying to see it again, and years trying to find a video copy of it - no internet then. I have the DVD now and watch it whenever I like. Mostly late at night after a big night out on the town. When I feel warm and cosy in my own house, a home to escape from the world.

No comments:

Post a Comment